Monday, April 20, 2009

Team RowMan+ Takes on Big Bear

Team RowMan+ put on a pretty good showing for the first WVMBA race of the year. Race #1 took us right up the road to Big Bear Lake for the Big Bear Classic. The Bear has a stellar trail system with plenty of challenging riding and rocks, rocks, rocks.

The weather was on our side with temps in the upper 50's to 60's and the trails were dry but still tacky. Traction was in ample supply.










We got on scene around 9:45, leaving us with plenty of time before the high noon start. I was really feeling some excitement/nerves. I kept thinking about how poorly the race went last year. I quadruple flatted with one even before the start. Real long, crappy day.

I didn't feel much better after I got a look at the new start this year. No more long pull out the road to spread things out. It was going to be a mad dash for about 150 yds into the woods onto some loose double track. I kept thinking about a messy pile up off the start and ending up right where I left off last year.

After some jamming to some tunes, talking to some good folk and warming up it was go time. There was a nice showing with about 200 racers on hand. About 30 were lined up at the start for the expert class. Lots of familiar faces, lots of bonified fast guys and some guys that made the jump from the sport class. Good solid competition.

Mark, the race promoter, gave us the count down and the mad dash was on. Just as suspected the start got a lil hairy. I made it around mid pack off the start, little tension I think, a small bobble from someone and there was a nice jam up but not too bad. I got around a few on the first few turns with Steve and Ryan right there with me. Jeremy and Nate got a good start and were up on the front.









Ryan and I switch places a couple of times and got caught up in a stack up on a short, steep bottle neck section. When we hit the first climb Ryan and Steve pulled away from me but I was able to hold off the others behind me. I was in the pain box on the first climb and just tried to spin it out. At the top I could still see a group of five or six in front of me. So I just tried to settle into my pace and try to keep them within reach for later in the race when I usually come out of the pain box and start to click. Takes awhile to get the diesel warmed up.

The strategy was working well. Then we hit the big decent where I knew I could take a few chances and make up some ground. Sure enough, at the bottom I was right on the group. I thought about throwing down a hard effort on the gentle incline on the access road and bridge up the gap and maybe pass a few. I didn't though cause I thought the usual big climb was up next and I wanted to save some gas to bury myself on the ascent. I saw Ryan put it down and make a couple of passes. Wish I would have went too cause to my surprise the big climb didn't come. I had let the group get back the gap and missed my chance. Next thing I knew we were back at the reservoir heading for the finish. I saw Donald Powers in front of me and started a big ring chase to gain a position. Lost focus a little had a bobble and then I wasn't able to close the gap on the final stretch. I came in just under 1:20 and in 11th place. Much better than last year and the Superfly rode like a dream.

At the finish I saw Jeremy waiting and got the big new. J pulled down the big W, that's right kids, 1st place overall! That's when I gave him a big man hug. Way to go dude. He was able to pass JP on the last section and held him off for the win and got there over 2 1/2 minutes before anyone else. And he even had to stop to inflate a burped rear tire. The dude put together a great race.












The rest of the crew did quite well too. Nate got 5th and Steve and Ryan sprinted it out for 7th and 8th. Almost got everyone in the top ten. Dang, I should have attacked when I saw the whites of their eyes. Either way, good showing for the first race and hopefully first of many successful races. Nice to see all the hard work payoff.









Thanks to Mark for putting on a fun event and the WVMBA crew for organizing a kick'n race series. I'm already getting pumped for Mountwood.

See ya at the races,
later,
Josh

2 comments:

  1. Great showing guys. Big Congrats to Jeremy for the win. See you at Mountwood for round 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nahh dude, Dan Fowler's paddling video won, apparently I came in second tho! It was a fun time, and people seemed to like the vid.

    Lemma and I and some others are gonna head out to Big Bear in the Morning, trying to get there around 10. Pass it around to Team Rowman, and maybe we'll see ya out there.

    ReplyDelete