Monday, April 27, 2009

J & J's Local Epics

No racing for J & J (Jeremy & Josh) this weekend. We opted to stay home to do some local favorites and get some solid training miles in. I was torn and a lil bummed not to be racing (New Martinsville RR or Greenbrier Challenge) but there is plenty of good racing action on tap this season. There were RowManians out on the racing scene this weekend.....more to come on that shortly.

I started out the weekend with a bang by going to the Black Bear for dinner on Friday. I gorged myself and even enjoyed a few Seneca IPA's. Been laying off the beer lately so this was a real treat. On Saturday I screwed off most of the day till Jeremy was done at the shop. Then we headed out on one of my favorite local rides. Went out to Snake Hill via Dug Hill and on to Rhor Road and Masontown. Took the road around the WVU Research Farm at Reedsville and then ripped up the Summer School Road decent, one of the fastest, funnest around. Things got a lil interesting on the decent when a bulked up Dodge truck swerved into our lane coming up the hill. I almost crapped myself. I hope they were trying to miss a pothole and not looking to run us off the road, that would just be plain mean. I ended up getting 50+ miles for the day after the rail trail ride to and fro.

Sunday was a long awaited Coopers out and back epic. I've been wanting to do this ride for a few weeks now. Ever since our last attempt was foiled by numerous early mechanicals and low spirits. Both of us were on the 29er dual-ees. Made it up to the day lot in just around an hour. Stopped to chat with some pals and then it was out the parallel trail and down, down, down on Ridge Trail. The Hi Fi really excelled on fast rough decent. Put a large grin on my face, when I wasn't making the OH-SHIT face. Jeremy put a technical climbing clinic coming up from Mount Chattue(?). Kid made the whole climb over some real tricky stuff. Nice work super J. Then it was a long hot pull up the rail road grade. No shade to be had since the leaves haven't come on yet. Then we picked up about every other trail on the top side, like Nature Loop, Rhododendron and Rock City. Had to make quite a few water stops due the the sweltering heat. Once we call uncle it was time to spin on back. I think we both ran out of gas on the way back. I was pretty well wilted by the time I got home. I guess 5 hours in the heat will do that. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. Great ride and great weekend on the bike.

Oh yeah, the racers...........Way to to Steve and Ryan. Steve got numero uno at the New Martinsville RR in the 123 class. Ryan pulled a 5th at Greenbrier for the Marathon race. Great job lads. How about some details, I'm tired of reading my own stupid posts.

Next up, Mountwood.

See ya at the races,
later,
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment