Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Creek to Peak to Podium

Well guys and girls super J was able to pull out another victory last Sunday at WVMBA #4, the Creek to Peak in Eleanor, WV.

The brothers and I headed down Sat. after work and set up base camp at Ma and Pa Chappy's place which is only about 30 minutes from the race. We were treated to a great nutritious breakfast by mama Chappy, got to play with the puppies and kitties, then got on the road. Made the short drive over the hill and arrived around 10 am with plenty of prep time.

It was clear it was going to be another slogger with lots of mud and wetness. The area got some heavy t-storms the night before so, there was plenty of standing water around the venue. But the sun was shining and temps were warm and yes it was race day........Game on.












The whole team was able to make it down for this one. Ryan and Nate ran the short track race on Sat. evening with Nate getting 3rd behind Nick Waite and Ben Ortt. Ryan had some bad luck and flatted out.

XC race.......There was a bit of funny stuff off the start caused by some of the course markings from the short track still being up. After the start the whole expert class ended up back at the start minutes after we left. The sporters had started by that time and after a quick restart we were off for real. There was a nice pull along a paved road and then a left onto the trails. This was about the time we caught up with the sport group. This made for some interesting congestion as experts riders were trying to get around the sport guys. Some were willing to give way and other were determined to race the expert class. Just tried to be patient and pass when I could. I was around Steve and Ryan so I was in good company.

The trails were wet and muddy and the twisty single track made things interesting. There was a nice long climb to start things out. I was able to keep Ryan and Steve in sight for most of it but by the time I got to the top a slow leak in my rear tire made my rear tire unridable. Time for a some more air, but to my surprise the Big Air strapped to my seat post decided to jump ship. Shit! I had no back up pump so I was out of luck with no means to inflate a tire.

So I started walking.........more like stomping the course. Had to walk for about 45 min till I got to a point where I could cut down the hill. I ran into Theresa Svoboda taking pics for iplay and a couple of spectators who had a pump. As I was standing beside the trail slowly changing my tire Jeremy came flying around the corner. I let out a loud "hell yeah" cause I knew he was riding in first. I didn't see the 2nd expert (Nick Waite) till a few minutes later. Looked like Jeremy was going in for the win as long as nothing tragic happened.

I got the tire ridable again and just at that time Steve came around the turn, seconds behind 4th place Steve Hill. So, I jumped on his wheel and tried to motivate Steve to pull himself up a place. He put on a hard chase but was unable to catch Hill. Good effort dude.

After stopping to give Jeremy a big man hug for the win I went the finish to finalize my DNF. But I wasn't the only one that had a tough day. Ryan had some mechanical issues but was able to finish. Nate took a nasty spill and knocked a leg and shoulder out a whack and had to DNF as well.

Even with all the misfortune, the trip was still worth while since Jermey got win #3 of the year beating some fast competition. He sits atop the point series standings and with Steve and Ryan getting solid finishes they both grabbed a chunk of series points. Great job Team RowManians.

"Jeremy collecting his loot and enjoying a winners shot"

Next up for the team:
Tour of Tucker County
Ryan doing XXC at Massanutten
Nate doing 24hrs of Big Bear on this years version of the WVMBA Dream Team
Then Appy Classic WVMBA #5

See ya at the races,
later,
Josh

Gear point of the week:
Jeremy says the Bontrager Mud X performed like a champ in the wet muddy conditions and is definitely a good choice for the sloppy trails.

1 comment:

  1. I like you blog. Your team is fun to follow!
    Best of Luck at App Classic
    /theresa

    ReplyDelete