Sunday, June 21, 2009

Appy Classic Race Report

Team RowMan+ made the trip down to Grantsville, WV for WVMBA #5, the 13th annual Appalachian Classic. This one's kinda special for me b/c my uncle Mike is one of the founders. In fact, it's his art that is used for t-shirts and emblems. Though he doesn't race any more he represented when he did and has some good race stories.

Today it was just the Brothers Row and the Man (that's me). The other Team RowManians had other commitments and couldn't make the race. We missed you guys.

It was a beautiful day for a race. The drive down was full of blue sky and sunshine. Not the norm for this year thus far but a welcome change. So moral was high for the trip and everyone was hungry for some good ol' WVMA racing.

When we got to the Calhoun County Park we set up camp at the shelter where Team Bi-acher/Cannondale Factory Racer, Chris M.had set up camp from the night before. Ol' boy was looking a bit lonely since his fellow Bi-achers (Gunnar & Betsy) were out of state doing one of the 100 milers. So we pulled in to give him some company and share some of his shade. Chris gave us a run down of the Saturday events (TT and short track race) and the festivities through the night. Sounds like we missed some fun but Chris seem to be paying the price a lil but he's a tough dude and recovered well.

By start time there was a nice size crowed on hand. Lots of the usual suspects: WV Night Club (with Andy W. making a come back after a broken collarbone-good to see him back); Pittsburgh Pro guys; The Riddles; Ohio speedster Dave W.; Jesse S. and some more folks I just can't recall right now. There were a couple of faces I haven't seen at the races for awhile, Jacob B.; '08 Sport Champ. Ian B.

After J.R. flashed everyone and got us all fired up he sent us out on the start. The start of this race seemed especially important to get to the front before the taped off section narrowed down the line and hit some tight turns. There was quite a bit of tire rubbing and jocking for position before the first turn but all the RowManians had good position in the front third of the pack. Then it was a loop through the field, up around the pavilion and down the hill to the access road. Once on the access road I grabbed the big ring and made up some ground with Stephen on my wheel and Jeremy two guys ahead. Jeremy hit the single track in 3rd behind Dave W. and Tim C., I was 5th and Stephen 6th and the pace was smoke'n fast. By far the fastest start of the season. We held that position for a quite awhile till Steve H. put on a balls out pass around the whole group and picked up the pace even more. Of course Steve got around me on the first sizable climb but I held my own for a bit more.

Then, I heard a loud pop. It wasn't from my bike but from my body. The fast start quickly caught up with me and I started to pay the price. Got passed by a few on the paved road climb. It was fun while it lasted but for me it was just survival after that as I dropped from 5th to I don't even know where.

I wasn't the only one having a tough go. I think the heat really stuck it to a lot of guys. Jeremy had his first hiccup of the year with some bad luck loosing a contact lens, pedal issues and more. But being the class act he is, he took took on the job of team soigneur, handing out much needed water bottles. The day wasn't a total loss though. The elder Rowand, Steve put together a solid race on a course the suited him well and out ran some fast guys for a podium place.........3rd. Great work Steve!

After I bonked I was ready to call it quites after the 2nd lap cause I was sweltering hot, low on fluids and hurt'n bad. But after a good water dousing from Benji and his wife and my pure stubbornness, I was able to keep going to at least finish. And half a lap later when I was dangerously close to running out of water Jeremy was trail side with a bottle and a gel. You saved my life dude. Thanks! After that I was able to pass a few guys back so I wasn't going to be DFL. I made it. No mechanicals or flats and a finish so it was better than the last two races. Now I just need a course that fits me a little better.

It's funny how I hurt so much and wanted to give up but some how I still had a good time and wanted to keep riding after the finish. Must be the endorphins I'm addicted to.

When it was awards time I think everyone there took home something. By the end J.R. was tossing swag like a he was a bike parade. Always fun when that happens. Thanks for a great race J.R. and sponsors. I think uncle Mike will be proud.

July will be full of fun for Team RowMan+:

Barbour DeTour
Race to Lil' Moes
WV State Champ.
Valley Falls

Check out the new WVMBA Point Series Standings. Steve'o made a nice jump into 2nd place right behind Jeremy in 1st. The rest of the crew is scattered within the top ten. Look'n good boys. Don't let it go to your head though, still 10 more exciting races to go.

See ya at the races,
Josh

Sorry no pics. Forgot the camara. Maybe I can come up with some later on. But who wants to see more pics of us anyway? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment