Thursday, May 21, 2009

Good Weather...Good Ride'n....Good Beer

Life is good.......Things have been looking up this week. Along with the vast improvement in the weather I've been able to shake off the after effects of the hog flu and get back on the weekday rides.
Tuesday was a duo ride with Super J out around Preston County. Started by going up Summer School Road, which is a wicked cool climb, then out to the Kingwood Pike and around the WVU Research Farm. From there it was Reedsville, Masontown, Snake Hill and back into Sabraton. There was some talk about heading out to Pt. Marion after Snake Hill but it was determined there was not enough day light or gas in the tank. Great ride in full sunshine, except when I got bombed by a bird. He got me real good, from stem to seat post........yuck!

Wednesday I made it out to the Wednesday Night'r ride for the first time in quite awhile. With another day of great weather the roadies showed up in force. I heard there were 29 riders in the group. A new ride record from what I've been told.......awesome! I had some Team RowMan boys in attendance to work with. Steve and Nate were there to keep me safe and pull me around.

The group did a neutral roll out down the rail trail to Star City, across the bridge and over to Rt. 100. When the pace heated up there was a pretty good paceline working and the group was moving along smoothly especially considering the size and the conditions of the road. I hit the gas a bit on the Lazelle Hill and got away from the group, got passed by the forever strong Gunnar and Steve with Adam A. and Sexy Leggs Jimmy on up the road. Over the top hit the big ring and pumped out some giga watts but couldn't pull in the two hammer heads in.

After the regroup, I set out the state line sprint cause I wasn't feeling comfortable hammering it out in a large tight group. Going up Big Shannon the attacks came pretty hard but a lot of riders were able to hang on the front end. Me thinks people are getting faster and stronger, very cool! I was in the red the whole way out but stayed with the top dogs while we tried to chase down Nate and Jimmy who got out on a break. I think Nate got the first to the end award but maybe Jimmy. I can't remember, no oxygen in the brain. Adam was there and of course Gunnar, Steve and myself. Not a bad group to be in. The return trip had some good pacing with my boy Steve doing more than his share of pulling. Steve and I ended up battling it out for the end of Big Shannon sprint. He threw me a bone and let me get the line. After the Rt. 19 climb and regroup it was a high speed decent back into Osage, Westover and down to the trail. What a bad A ride. Fast, fun and a good workout. Good job everyone who kept it safe and fast.

Today, was the Thursday night shop ride at Bakers. More great weather brought out another large group. There were 12 at the gate for the start, which is a good showing for the ride. Attendees: Team RowMan+ (Steve, Jeremy, Ryan, Josh), Robbie, Sean Z., Jake, Bala, Andrew, Ryan P. and his lady friend and a dude on a SS who's name I didn't get. Trails were in great shape. Very little mud but still a little tack for traction. Hit up lots of trails, with a new one thrown into the mix. The trail ferry put a new trail up on top, its tight and technical and in my opinion has good promise. Also, hit up a couple of the newer gnarly down hills. The HiFi performed above and beyond my expectations. I didn't even notice those rock gardens. Had a great time with a good group. Thanks to all who showed up and threw down.
So after 3 great days of riding I invited an old friend over who just came into town. Welcome to West by God Yuengling my friend.

Have a great Holiday weekend, I know I will.
Power to the pedals,
later,
Josh
P.S. Pictures from Tour de Lake. Not on iplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment