Monday, August 31, 2009

Black Bear Race Report

Another race in the books. This week Team Rowman traveled to our state capital, Charleston, WV for the 23rd (Yes, 23rd) annual Black Bear 40K. I was looking forward to this race for awhile cause the course suits my riding abilities. The course takes racers up and down and around Kanawha State Forest. The KSF has some of the best riding in the state, next to our own Coopers of course. There are lots of steep technical descents that include large imbeded rocks, roots and tight switch backs. There's a lot of ups to go along with the downs but most is fire road style with only mild to moderate grades. However, it does boast the meanest hike-a-bike ever.

As stoked as I was about the Black Bear the Rowands were that much not stoked. They must have been ravaged by the Bear before. But, in true RowMan style they manned up and made the race. It was another 11am start so we had to role out of Motown at the crack ass of dawn. Hell, it was still dark until we got 30-45 min. down 79. We wanted to make sure we got there earlier than last week to get in some more warm up time.

The Sport Utility Neon was like the 4th car in the lot at KSF. Hell yeah, first ones to register. These guys must be hungry to for some race'n. So we did our thing and before long it was go time. Not a real big showing for the expert/SS class. Mostly just the usuals like Steve H., Robbie L., Don P., Gannar, Chris M., LB, Adam S..

The start sent us directly across a stream crossing and then up a steady long fire road climb. I think I got the worst start ever. I was pretty much DFL starting up the climb. I couldn't even see the lead group. But I didn't panic and just put my head down and tried to tap out a good pace. I was able to make up some ground and before long I was just behind Jeremy and Steve who were up with the lead group. I was in the company of Adam S., Don P., and Brad S. By the time I got to the top of the climb the leaders were out of site. Once on top we hit some nice twisty single track. Robbie and his bitch'n bike skills bridged up to me on the down hill section and for the second week in a row I wiped out with Robbie breathing down my neck and then got passed by Adam S.. Just a quick front wheel wash out from riding the brakes too hard. I was back up and going pretty quick with no damage done.

I found myself riding the brakes a lot on the descents. I don't know if it was the pitch or the speed on technical, unfamiliar trails. I had some uncomfortable moments but was able to clean the rest of the descents. It was a total 180 from ACE where I was feeling fast and confident on the descents. The trails were super dry and loose so, maybe that was the difference.

For most of the race I kept yo-yo'ing back and forth with Robbie till he put on a hard push up one of the final road climbs and got by Adam S. I got close to Adam a couple of times but he would pull away every time we hit the woods. I think he might know the trails a bit better than myself.

About 2hrs in I started to fall apart a little and started to think back to last week when I blew it at the end. I didn't want that to happen again. I was able to keep it together and avoid the cramps. Probably do to the great weather. Cool and low humidity. I made it to the long 200 yd., strait up hike-a-bike. By the top my calves were on fire from pushing up hill. I could hear someone below me up the hike'r so I jumped on and tried to push it as much as I could without going over the edge. I made it to the finish without anyone catching up. I came in 6th, my best finish of the season. I grabbed a good chunk of points but still have a good gap to close on Donny P. Only two more to go.

Steve H. got the win for the day and he was unreachable on his home course. No wonder the dude is so fast. Riding the KSF will make ya fast and tough. Jeremy had another showdown with the wily Gunnar. Coming down the home stretch Jeremy was in the lead and Gannar tossed a stick in his derailleur to try and slow him down. But Jeremy's drive to win was greater than his concern for his high dollar gear. Jeremy came in only seconds in front of the ol' pirate to claim 2nd place. He said he tried to drop the Gunny a couple times but he was able to swashbuckle his was back.

Steve had a solid day but actually admitted to doing too much climbing which I didn't think would ever happen to him. Sounds like he was nailing the descents this week. He came in 4th for the day though he was passed by Robbie in the last stretch. Yes thats right, he was caught by a SS on flat ground. I've got two words for ya dude "Big Ring". Good finish anyway.

Robbie got another win in the SS class. That makes 6 for 6 on the SS. Nice work man and thanks for the encouragement. You are a true sportsman.

Next week is an off race week. However, the Chapman's are moving into their new digs so come on down if you like to move heavy stuff cause I know I don't. Next stop for Team RowMan will be the Bob Evans and then the championship race on our home turf (Coopers). Sure to be a good time. Last WVMBA of the year so, leave it all out on the trail.

See ya at the races,
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment