Friday, January 30, 2009

Josh's Race Bike - In Progress

So I want to do some continuing posts on the team's race bikes and how they are coming together/coming apart. Take some pics. and comment on how things work for us.
I'll start with my SuperFly, since that's all I have pics. of right now.
1st off, THIS BIKE ROCKS! Nude carbon frame, 29er wheels and throw in some cool components and you've got a bad A race machine. Big hoops smooth out the trails and the light rigid frame is solid for the ups. I like it a loooot.
This bike has a few races on it last year but has been hung up since the Dirt Derby. I've been slowly collecting some new components/upgrades.
1. New 29ers, Bongrager Race X Lite. DT Swiss Hubs

2. New drive train/Shifters: Sram 990 Cassette/Sram 991 chain/Sram XO Rear Derailleur/Sram XO twisties
I've switched to twist shifters cause I have short stubby fingers so the less reaching I have to do the better. And I like the positive action of the 1:1 twisters.

I still need some new chain rings and BB. Both are shot. Half way through the Dirt Derby I was limited to granny gear and big ring cause middle ring was crapped out. BB hasn't been the same since the Blackwater race, probably still some blackwater in there.

3. New Seat Post: Bontrager Race X Lite. Had to replace cause the old one had a real nice crack in it. Side effect of being a 185 lbs. rider.

4. Got a couple sets of new tires. Bontrager Jones ACX 29er & Bontrager XDX.

Haven't put em on yet. Going to wait to see what conditions are as we get closer to race time. Anyone that remembers me from last year probably saw me along the trail a lot fixing flats. Hope to change that this year. Ran the XDX's towards the end of last season and had a lot more success than Specialized Captain's. XDX has higher air volume and hooks up well. Haven't used the ACX's yet, but hear good things from the Rowand bros. Think I'll use them for early season wet/muddy conditions. Both will be ran tubeless. I'm crossing my fingers that they fix this problem.

So that's whats going on with my race'n bike. Can't wait to get it all put together and dialed in. Hold'n off though so I'm not tempted to take it out in this sucky, nasty weather. Want to maximize the race life of all the components.

Here's what I'm riding in the mean time:
Trek Fuel EX 9 & Gary Fisher Rig SS & Specialized Allez Comp

Stay tuned for updates on the rest of Team RowMan+'s rides.
Later,
Josh

2 comments:

  1. Chris King makes BBs now, and if your problem before was water getting in there then that would certainly be a solution. Plus you could add some more hot bling to the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dehumidifier in that basement would do wonders! Sweet ass bikes going on there.

    ReplyDelete